Systemd: how to get into rescue mode

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Tue Jan 7 18:30:08 UTC 2020

Am Dienstag, den 07.01.2020, 18:05 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.01.2020, 11:27 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
> > hi,
> > Am Sonntag, den 05.01.2020, 10:47 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > > I do this:
> > >
> > > systemctl isolate rescue.target
> > >

> > is there any particular reason to not use the builtin recovery mode
> > from the bootloader menu ?
>
> I'm trying to follow the article in that mentioned Linux magazine.
> They
> advise to do "systemctl isolate rescue.target", and then start the
> backup.
>
> Using the builtin recovery mode from the bootloader menu sounds like
> good idea. I will try this.

I've tried it. I've chosen "recovery" mode in GRUB's boot menu. Then, I
start the backup and it works fine.

Afters, I log out of the root shell and get back to the recovery menu,
where I chose "resume". I get to the normel login screen. But the video
is screwed up. It's running at a very low screen resolution.

Then I have to do a reboot.

This isn't as comfortable as doing "systemctl isolate rescue.target"
from the running system, but it can be done. I think I'll do it this
way in the future.

What I don't understand is, why is my second external harddisk suddenly
no longer recognized?? I've checked the cables, tried to plug or unplug
on different connectors - nothing.

Cheers,
Volker