OT: best FOSS wiki for this classroom scenario?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:26:29 UTC 2020

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 21:31, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I liked MS Word's Outline view. On LibreOffice Writer 6.0.7.3 the Navigator subwindow can be opened by pressing F5. Under the "Headings" item, you can get an outline of sorts by clicking on items which in turn show items "below" that item. Have a play with it.

Thanks for the hint. Yes, I have had a look at it. I suppose it might
help for simpler usage patterns than mine, but TBH I didn't find it
any real use myself. A simple hierarchical bullet-list was more
helpful for me.

I raised this as an issue with the LO team a few years ago. They were
very surprised; they considered this one of MS Word's most marginal
features and unimportant.  Apparently adding it would require adding a
substantial amount of code to LO Writer, because it means the
display-rendering code has to know that at different times, parts of
the document may or may not be visible. This is not the case at the
moment and it would apparently be a lot of work, but they noted it as
a possible future enhancement.

A friend of mine was also considering trying to implement it in
Javascript as an add-on for Google Docs.

There is an add-on for Atom which has a rather nice implementation:
https://atom.io/packages/foldingtext-for-atom

However, as the readme says, it's not FOSS. The author plans to make
it proprietary when it's complete.

Also, Atom is the single least-efficient text editor in the world,
because it's an Electron app. It runs a sandboxed instance of Google
Chromium and a large, inefficient Javascript app inside that. Running
an old version of MS Word under WINE takes _substantially_ fewer
resources.