OT: best FOSS wiki for this classroom scenario?

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sun Feb 23 16:12:23 UTC 2020

Am Samstag, den 22.02.2020, 14:23 -0500 schrieb Little Girl:
> Hey there,
>
> Volker Wysk wrote:
>
> > When you have this code:
> >
> > First line
> > <<BR>>Second line
> > <<BR>>Third line
> >
> > ... then the GUI editor makes it:
> >
> > First line<<BR>>Second line<<BR>>Third line
>
> I have two comments on this. The first is that <<BR>> is an inline
> element, so I suppose it makes sense that the wiki would treat it as
> one, but it's a shame that it has only a single way of reacting to
> encountering one.
>
> My second comment is that I feel your pain on the concatenation. You
> explicitly created two separate lines of text. Regardless of what's
> on them, that is how you chose to position them. The same thing
> happens in the text editor if I were to create two lines of text
> without a blank line between them.

It doesn't happen in the text editor. The text editor doesn't seem to
touch the text at all, other than what the user explicitly does. I'm
not sure I correctly comprehend what you mean.

> It's annoying for the wiki to make
> a decision on their placement, changing what we did, but I suspect
> it's a design decision rather than a bug.

If that's a design decision, then it's a poor one. The user lays out
the text for better readability, when working with the text editor.
This should be respected. And the text editor /does/ respect it.

> I used to contribute to the development of a wiki and had a heck of a
> time convincing the developers that this type of behavior needs to be
> optional so that the user can decide whether they wish it to occur or
> not.
>
> I've always been against programs making decisions on my behalf. I'm
> sure there are others who feel the opposite way and want programs to
> handle tasks for them so they don't have to. As a result, it's become
> sort of a personal crusade of mine to convince others that choice
> should always be vigorously defended and at the forefront of any
> design decision when cooking up a new program or feature.

:-)

Regards,
Volker