Ubuntu 20.04 misses printer, and correct monitor resolution

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 19:09:37 UTC 2020

On Wed 05 Aug 2020 at 16:07:54 +0000, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> Greetings,
> I just installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a linux-only desktop, and everything works except these
> two things,for which I have not found usable/proper matches online.
> Printing: the computer has attached an Epson XP-305 printer/scanner. As scanner, is detected
> and works fine with simple-scan, and sane says:
> #> sudo sane-find-scanner:
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0898) at libusb:001:005
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error

Scanning works. Let's see why. Give the output of

  scanimage -L

> As printer, it is detected, and shows up both in the CUPS web panel and in the Ubuntu
> settings panel, as connected and working... but nothing happens. If I try to print a test
> page from the Ubuntu settings,it says page sent, and after some seconds "test completed"
> (IIRC) but NOTHING happens in the printer. If I try to print a self-test page from the CUPS web
> panel, instead, I get:
>   Unable to send command to printer driver:
>  Not allowed to print.

The printer is detected. May we see what *you* see in the CUPS web panel
and in the Ubuntu settings panel. I am after the queue name(s).

The outputs of

  lpstat -a

  lpstat -l -e

  systemctl list-units "ippusbxd*" | grep service

would be useful