How to create bootable USB thumb drive with iso file

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 23:09:29 UTC 2020

On 28/04/2020, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> In trying to find how to create a bootable USB thumb drive with an iso
>> file, I found the web page at
>> https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#3-launch-startup-disk-creator
>>
>> which has
>>
>> "
>> 3. Launch Startup Disk Creator
>>
>> We’re going to use an application called ‘Startup Disk Creator’ to
>> write the ISO image to your USB stick. This is installed by default on
>> Ubuntu, and can be launched as follows:
>>
>> Insert your USB stick (select ‘Do nothing’ if prompted by Ubuntu)
>> On Ubuntu 18.04 and later, use the bottom left icon to open ‘Show
>> Applications’
>> In older versions of Ubuntu, use the top left icon to open the dash
>> Use the search field to look for Startup Disk Creator
>> Select Startup Disk Creator from the results to launch the application
>> "
>>
>> But, on the system (UbuntuMATE 19.10) to which I downloaded three iso
>> files; for each of UbuntuMATE, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, each of version
>> 20.04, in the sub-menu's to the Applications menu, no entry for
>> Startup Disk Creator, is visible, and, the Applications menu and each
>> sub-menu, do not have a search facility.
>>
>> Is the application still available?
>>
>> In searching for the application in synaptic, the application was not
>> found, but, v0.3.7 of usb-creator was the only result returned.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> I found it...
>
> I found it on my 16.04 installation (the tutorial gives the impression
> it did not exist before 18.04), then I went bank and found it on the
> 19.10 installation.
>
> It is not within the Applications menu hierarchy; it is listed in
> System (separate menu hierarchy) -> Administration.
>
> Perhaps, the tutorial could be made clearer?
>

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

But the application does not work anyway.

I tried to run it, and a dialogue box "Writing disk image", with the
title bar greyed out, and, which dialogue box is immovable, is
superimposed over a dialogue box that is active (blue title bar), and
which is also immovable; "System policy prevents writing a disk image
to this" and the rest of the message is concealed by the immovable
dialogue box superimposed upon it.

So, the application is unusable, without any explanation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale