[update] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Sep 26 16:54:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 16:39 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Is there a decent sftp client for IOS? (I use AndFTP for Android)

Hi,

I don't know, maybe https://apps.apple.com/app/documents-von-readdle/id364901807#?platform=ipad .

> If you don't mind deferring transfers until you are at home and both
> systems are connected to the same network, you should be able to set the
> sftp client as an app you can share pictures with, and configure it to
> upload to the desktop.
>
> So I pick a picture, click Share, click AndFTP, and click the icon for
> my saved Desktop connection. The file goes straight to whatever folder
> you have set to receive from the client (eg /tmp, or maybe ~/Pictures,
> or somewhere).
>
> It takes 2 min to configure but after that, it's a no-brainer.

Within 2 minutes I couldn't even find a howto.

Btw. my router has got an USB port to connect an USB storage device,
that connected to this port should be accessible via LAN by the Linux PC
and via WLAN by the iPads, so I spend additional 2 minutes, without
finding out how to do this.

It took me 4 minutes and I still don't know anything about one of those
alternatives.

IMO connecting a fat32 formatted USB storage device to an USB port of an
iDevice and getting direct access to the storage device, is still the
easiest thing to do.

Somebody who really likes to spend 4 or a few more minutes, might want
to learn how to format hfs+ and exfat partitions with GUI and/or command
line tools for Linux. That gparted can create hfs+, not necessarily
means that each distro provides the required hfs+ tools needed by
gparted and that gnome-disks and partitionmanager should be able to
create exfat, doesn't mean that those apps are reliable at all, so it
could take a few minutes to find the appropriate tools, that really do
the job.

Regards,
Ralf