Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 01:23:01 UTC 2019

On 15/10/2019, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>>Little Girl wrote:
>
>>> There is no spoon.
>
>>But, ..."Just a spoonful of sugar..."
>
> If only...
>
>>The suggested remedy at the URL;
>>
>>"
>>If your graphics card is Nvidia, follow these steps:
>>
>>In the GRUB menu at startup, press e; then,
>>Use the arrow keys to replace quiet splash with no splash or
>>nomodeset. Then press the Ctrl+x key combination to boot.
>>"
>>
>>worked - thank you for that.
>>
>>I replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".
>
> I'm glad it worked.
>
>>Now, ....
>>
>>as mentioned, the affected computer, is the one where a previous
>>problem caused me to lose the GUI for my primary user account,
>>leading me to set up a secondary user account for which the GUI
>>worked.
>>
>>Now, after the upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3, the secondary user
>>account GUI appears to work okay, but (I had hoped that the upgrade
>>would fix the panel problem causing the GUI problem in my primary
>>user account, but, it did not), now, when I use the switch user
>>facility, when I try to log in as the primary user, I log in, and,
>>am returned to the primary user login screen.
>>
>>Can this be fixed, and, if so, how?
>
> This page is pretty old, but one of the people who used it posted not
> all that long ago, so maybe it will be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login

I tried the

"
Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
"

and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not permitted",
relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C> then rebooted,
and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select Ubuntu, then it briefly
displays a console login prompt, then the screen goes black, then it
goes into an endless loop of black screen _> flash -> black screen.

And, I can not apply <CTRL><ALT><F1> to get to a console terminal.

So now, the system appears to be completely broken and unusable in Linux.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."