Problems with Mate

Bill bstanle at wowway.com
Mon Oct 14 02:52:49 UTC 2019

On 10/13/19 9:55 PM, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I don't know how it happened but whenever I mount a partition,
>> Firefox is opened and the contents of the partition is displayed in
>> Firefox.
> Strange. Where are you when you mount the partition and how are you
> mounting it?
WS=> I dual boot and the partition is the Windows partition.  It is
mounted by using the GUI at Places / 512 GB partition and there then
appears an icon on the desktop and Firefox automatically opens to
display the contents.  By default, it should be the Caja file manager.

>> I have to close Firefox and open (display) the partition with Caja
>> which is the proper application to brows a partition.
> How are you opening the partition with Caja? Are you clicking its icon
> on the desktop? If so, try this:
WS=> actually, Firefox opens automatically (like Caja should) and I have
to close Firefox and open Caja by Right clicking on the icon and
selection "Open with Caja".
> 1) Right-click the partition's icon on the desktop.
> 2) Choose "Open With" from the context menu.
> 3) Choose "Other Application..." from the sub-menu.
> 4) Make sure that "Remember this application for "..." files' has a
> check in the box with it (sorry, I put ... because I don't currently
> have a partition mounted, so I don't remember what it would have
> where those dots are).
> 5) Click on Caja in the window pane.
> 6) Click the "Open" button.
>
>  From now on they should open with Caja.
WS=> That works when I explicitly click on the icon but when the
partition is opened the first time, Firefox is still opened automatically.

>> Recently, the same problem exists in Trash but there is no way to
>> display the contents of trash with Caja (which is the proper program
>> to open trash).
> You might be using Places view in Caja. You need to be in Tree view
> to see it. It's the selector to the left of the location bar near the
> top of Caja.
WS=>No I'm using "Places" in the Menu bar for the  Mate desktop.
> As an alternative, you can add the Trash applet to the panel and
> click that to open the trash in Caja. My trash applet lives on the
> far right of my panel so I can get at it in an instant.
WS=> I tried that.  There is no way to change from Firefox to the Caja
file manager.  This is actually even more troubling than the partition
problem because Firefox does not even display what is in "trash" and
there seems no way to open trash to recover a file I accidentally deleted.
>> I see no way to change this in System/ Preferences/"Preferred
>> applications".  Where can I reset the preferred application from
>> Firefox back to Caja, which is the default?
> Hopefully my steps above will do it. One last possibility is to go to
> Edit --> Preferences -- Media inside of Caja and check all the
> settings, especially making sure that "Browse media when inserted"
> has a check in the box next to it.
>
> If all else fails, the setting you're after will likely be in a
> configuration file somewhere. You could try creating a new user on
> your computer and see if that user can mount partitions successfully
> without the issue. If so, it's a matter of chasing down which file
> needs to be edited. This is definitely odd behavior, though. Can you
> remember any changes you've made recently before this happened?

WS=> Does anybody know what the name of the configuration file is?  I am
capable enough to make the necessary corrections to correct the problem.