exending a partition

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Oct 10 17:45:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:50:13 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>If you resize the partition with Gparted, the contents will be intact.

Hi,

I've done this a thousand times for ext4 as well as other file systems
and never lost data...

>But a backup is always a good idea, of course.

...however, data loss is possible, due to a power outage, cosmic rays
or a Cookie Monster that is angry, since dark forces compelled a dietary
change. You should have backups of your data on external HDDs, even if
you wouldn't resize a partition. The angry Cookie Monster is very
hungry, since dark forces with a sick world view decided to call
cookies evil food, so it needs to eat SSDs and other meals. Cookies
might be not the best food for children, but it's the most healthy food
for a Cookie Monster. Children do understand this, but seemingly a lot
of adults don't. Kidding aside, backups are that essential for important
data, as Cookies are for a Cookie Monster.

Regards,
Ralf