(not really solved) Re: (SOLVED) Re: Gnome control center crashes

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Tue Oct 1 15:54:16 UTC 2019

Am Montag, den 30.09.2019, 18:28 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Am Montag, den 30.09.2019, 18:10 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
> ubuntu-
> users:
> > Hi Volker :)
> >
> > On Mon, 2019-09-30 at 17:07 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > Am Montag, den 30.09.2019, 14:02 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
> > > ubuntu-users:
> > >
> > > I've moved that away, and now gnome-control-center works again.
> > > The
> > > "user" file is automatically regenerated. Many thanks! :-)
> >
> > consider to move it back, try to find the responsible schema and
> > just
> > reset this schema, since dconf contains the config for many apps.
>
> Okay

> > Note, I don't use Gnome, Mate, Cinnamon or any desktop environment
> > at
> > all, but some apps I'm using and several apps I installed for
> > comparison
> > are configured by dconf. For your GNOME install it might be a lot
> > more
> > apps.
>
> The name of the schema is org.gnome.ControlCenter. Resetting only
> this
> one is sufficient to fix the gnome-control-center crash:
>
> gsettings reset-recursively org.gnome.ControlCenter

The crash appears when choosing "Details" in the list to the left of
the Gnome Control Center. When doing so, "Details" becomes the last
choosen panel, and is opened automatically when starting gnome-control-
center again. This then causes the crash to occur again, this time
immediately.

So, knowing that, I have a gnome-control-center which works, except for
the menu item "Details", which causes a crash.

Sebastien Bacher, who is investigating the bug, wrote on Launchpad, at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1845931:

-----snip-----
The issue looks like the same as
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues/285

Looking at the Depends attachement,

libglib2.0-0 2.60.0-1ubuntu0.1~ubuntu18.04.1~ppa1 [origin: unknown]

That's likely you issue, you are using an outdated libglib from a ppa
which doesn't include the fix for that issue
-----snip-----

So now I'm wondering if I can install a newer version of libglib2.0, in
order to fix this. My system is bionic 18.04.3 LTS. My version of that
library is:

desktop ~ $ apt-show-versions libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-0:amd64 2.60.0-1ubuntu0.1~ubuntu18.04.1~ppa1 newer than
version in archive

The following page on packages.ubuntu.com lists available versions of
libglib2.0:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libglib2.0&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

There the following versions (disco and eoan), which are newer than my
version, are mentioned:

(my version):  2.60.0-1ubuntu0.1~ubuntu18.04.1~ppa1
disco-updates: 2.60.4-0ubuntu0.19.04.1
eoan:          2.62.0-1

Is it possible to use one of those, or would I nuke my system, if i
tried?

Bye
Volker