xubuntu 19.10 fails to install with /boot on different drive - grub-install error

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Nov 23 17:34:41 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 06:22:01PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 17:07, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > >
> > Yes, it is, but there doesn't seem to be a way to specify where to put
> > grub. I had assumed that saying that /boot is on /dev/sda1 would make
> > the install put grub there as well.
>
> No.
>
> Assuming you click "something else" and arrange your own partitions,
> then it's an option on that screen. It's below the list of drives and
> partitions, and above the action buttons at the bottom.
>
> https://zdnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/10/22/dd65739d-f393-40ff-a65c-25f6e6325bac/resize/770xauto/9308c67b2dbd4fce481228f62ac73cab/partitions.png
>

> In this screenshot, it is shown as "device for boot loader
> installation". You should get a drop-down list, which includes
> whole-disk devices and partitions.
>
> If you want it to be the default boot loader, then put it in the MBR
> of /dev/sda.

Thanks Liam, this is the vital bit I had missed (though the installer
should have let me correct it later).

I now have a working installation of xubuntu 19.10 with the boot
loader on /dev/sda and /boot on /dev/sda1 but all the rest is on my
new wizzy NVME disk.

I've managed to add my 19.04 installation to the boot menu so now I
have what I need! :-)

Excellent, thanks again.

--
Chris Green