Slow boot, how do I configure for nosity boot?

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 19:10:21 UTC 2019

On 22/11/2019, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> I have 18.04  on a couple of cheap laptops. This version does not work well
> with the wireless chipset, and audio on these machine, FYI 10.10 solves all
> these issues, BUT I don not want to go to it, as it will be easier to go to
> the next LTS FROM the previous LTS.
>
> These machine take *forever* to boot to an X login. How can I configure to
> watch the boot sequence  , so I can diagnose this issue?
>
> --
> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety."
> 						-- Benjamin Franklin

I havve 19.10 (I think you meant 19.10, rather than 10.10?) running on
this laptop; an i5 with 16GB RAM, and, I have 16.04.6 running on an i7
laptop, with 32GB RAM, and, both are slow to boot.

Oh, and the variant of Ubuntu, that I run, is UbuntuMATE.

I think that the booting of Ubuntu, at present, is regarded as being
slow, and, is expected to quicken, when 20.04 LTS is released. I
accept correction if I am wrong in any of that understanding.

>From what I understand, upgrading from 19.10, to 20.04, should be as
easy as upgrading from 18.04, to 20.04, but, once aagain, I accept
correction, if my understanding is wrong.

When 20.04 LTS is released, I am intending to then upgrade each of my
systems to that; I realise that the 16.04 systems, will have to be
upgraded to 18.04 LTS, before being upgraded to 20.04 LTS, but, I will
leave that until 20.04 is released, so that I can hang on to the
functionality of 16.04, that is lost by upgrading it to the versions
from then to now, for as long as I can.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale