Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Kevin wrham at eastlink.ca
Tue Nov 19 19:16:00 UTC 2019

> A recent article in  Linux Pro Magazine (July 2019 Issue 224) concerned the
> installation of 'Barrier'
> allowing use of one mouse/keyboard with two or more computers.
> Barrier requires Qt 5.12 as a dependency.
Thanks to both Colin and Ralf for their responses.

> Trying to upgrade Qt when the Ubuntu release you're running ships an
> older one is probably not going to go well and I wouldn't recommend it.
> I see that there's a snap of Barrier, though, so perhaps "snap install
> barrier" would work for you?  That way it'll bundle its own dependencies
> and not interfere with the ones you have on the system.
Trying to install Qt 5.12 made no difference because because it would
not install.

Installed Barrier with Snap with the following results:

:~$ sudo snap install barrier-kvm
barrier-kvm 2.2 from netmag installed
~$: barrier-kvm
Qt: session management error: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported.
System tray is unavailable.
libGL error: MESA-Loader: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: amdgpu_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: amdgpu_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu

> just installing Qt 5.12 would break the dependency trees of Qt
> related packages from official Ubuntu 18.04 repositories.
>
> You could test if a snap does the job,
> https://snapcraft.io/barrier
> https://snapcraft.io/barrier-kvm
> or you could update your Ubuntu release to at least 18.10,
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=cosmic&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=barrier
> It is build against Qt 5.11.
Quote from Linux Pro Magazine July 2019 (Issue 224) pages 38-39:

"You'll find an installer for Windows, a DMG package for Mac OS X, and
statically built versions for Linux and FreeBSD.
In practice, however, the Linux package's hard-wired dependency on Qt
5.12 poses a hurdle. Even Ubuntu 18.10 still
relies on Qt 5.11.1, which means you'll need to upgrade to Qt 5.12 to
use Barrier."

Back to square one.
Cannot install Qt 5.12
Barrier won't work without it

As for the libGL errors - probably has to do with the CPU  .
AMD Ryzen 5 2400g - AMD Vega graphics built into the chip.

Again, thanks for the responses.

--
Kevin

Ubuntu 18.04.1