Any suggestions for library administration software please?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:05:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 09:51:33AM -0500, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
> >My current crusade is to get most web pages to provide bibtex for
> >themselves similar to the way "Share" features are ubiquitous.
>
> This might be a temporary solution. It asks for a URL and generates a
> citation from it:
>
> https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_works_cited_electronic_sources.html

I tried that on a web page without the info and it just hung. On a scientific page, it did produce the result
but that format-specific stuff is a problem- it needs to return key-value pairs and let you do the formatting.
For example, this is the result of a recent script run. I put "srcurl" on the clipboard, ran the script
and it identified a way to get the bibtex ( or key-value pairs that specify the work ). Sometimes
these are publisher site specific, other times available from a DOI and maybe others from html
metadata or less likely pdf exif data. Some people on texhax maillist suggested that zotero etc
can make a better choice when there are multiple source but the trick is to scrape the
data when there is nothing explicity. Ideally every page, at least for news sites, would have bibtex
cite buttons but for more commercial interest, see my archived posts on texhax, I noted that a bibliography
could also be a bill-of-materials with one or two click buying for recipes or DIY projects
or whatever.

% med2bib comment: guessplos
% date  Mon Nov 18 07:05:56 EST 2019
% srcurl:  https://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0004310
% citeurl:  https://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article/citation/bibtex?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0004310

@article{10.1371/journal.pntd.0004310,
 author = {Sun, Ran AND Zhao, Xi AND Wang, Zixia AND Yang, Jing AND Zhao, Limei AND Zhan, Bin AND Zhu, Xinping},
 journal = {PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases},
 publisher = {Public Library of Science},
 title = {Trichinella spiralis Paramyosin Binds Human Complement C1q and Inhibits Classical Complement Activation},
 year = {2016},
 month = {12},
 volume = {9},
 url = {https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0004310},
 pages = {1-14},
 abstract = {Author Summary Trichinellosis is one of the most important food-borne parasitic zoonoses worldwide. The key factor for Trichinella spiralis to survive in its host is evading from the attacks by the immune defense system. Our previous study revealed that paramyosin from Trichinella spiralis (Ts-Pmy) played a role in evading host immune attacks by binding to human complement C8 and C9. Here, we demonstrated that Ts-Pmy inhibited classical complement activation by binding to human complement C1q. As a result, classical complement pathway-mediated hemolysis was inhibited in the presence of Ts-Pmy. Additionally, Ts-Pmy inhibited C1q binding to THP-1-derived macrophages and C1q-induced macrophages migration. These results suggest that Trichinella spiralis paramyosin is a potential immunomodulator involved in the evasion of the host complement attack by binding to C1q in addition to C8/C9, and therefore is a potent vaccine target against trichinellosis.},
 number = {12},
 doi = {10.1371/journal.pntd.0004310}
}