Configuring/using grub with grub-install and grub-mkconfig

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 12:03:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 19:08, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> I have been searching around (and asking questions) about how to add a
> separate /boot partition.  As a result I have become steadily *more*
> confused about the relationship between grub-mkconfig and grub-install.

Hi, Chris.

This is something that is fairly trivial to do at installation time.
It's probably non-trivial afterwards.

So, I feel I must ask:

[1] Is a reinstall feasible?
[2] And, er, well... why?

Anyway. What I _have_ done a few times is move /home into its own
filesystem, post-install. That is non-trivial too. Doing it to /boot
might actually be _easier_. As such, trying to translate the steps
from what I've done before, I'd say:

[1] make your new /boot partition.
[2] mount it somewhere else for now, e.g. /newboot
[3] copy the contents of the old /boot directory into the new mountpoint
[4] add the new filesystem to /etc/fstab
[5] (extra step) install GRUB2 to the new /boot filesystem
[6] tell your firmware to boot from the new partition not the old one
[7] rename your old /boot directory to something else, e.g. /oldboot

*Make sure you have working boot media to hand with the same version
of the OS on them!*

And then try it.

In theory that's about it, I think.