copy/paste problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Nov 15 23:12:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:46:07 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

[multiple snips]

> > I tried Nemo some time ago, had problems, and dropped it. Might be
> > good to try it again.
>
> I find it makes like easier _not_ to set it to manage the desktop. I
> just pin an icon to the dock and use that when I need a file manager.
> Nautilus/Files remains the default.
>
> It works fine as the desktop manager, but distro upgrades break,
> every time.

Aha - I didn't realize that Nemo tried to manage the desktop, if it
does so on a default install. Maybe that's why I had problems. Also,
around the time, I was having trouble with upgrades. Maybe that was
part of the problem.

Might this also be a problem with my installed KDE and/or other stuff?
How can I determine if Nemo is managing my desktop?

I> > When I tried to check out the CPU usage with HTOP, I got a strange
> > sounding result. When sorted by CPU, the top line listed CPU usage
> > at 500-550%. Not sure how to interpret that, but it doesn't sound
> > like an ordinary percentage.
>
> I'd interpret that as you having 6-8 CPU cores and the process is
> maxing out 5 cores and ½ of another.

Okay. Makes sense, but didn't realize it was a cumulative percentage.

> > Below that are about 15 entries, each with 30-50%.
> > All of these are for WebKitwebprocess.
>
> Webkit means a Chrome-based browser. As I said, if you routinely work
> with lots of tabs, Chrome is not your friend. 1 tab = 1 process. So
> many means lots of RAM, lots of CPU, lots of disk activity.

If I add up all the %s, Webkit seems to be using almost all of ALL the
CPUs. Yech!!

Looks like Vivaldi and Brave are both chrome-based. As a test, I closed
all the tabs and windows in both of these, but the number of WebKit
entries or the CPU usage in HTOP did not change at all! Would WebKit
keep these processes running even if I closed these? [I can believe
that Google would like to keep some invasive software running no matter
what.] How can I check to see what other things might be using WebKit?

> Firefox maxes out at 4 processes.

Interesting. In the past I tried to run lots of Firefox instances, but
when there were more than about four or so windows open I ran into LOTS
of problems - wouldn't keep working.

Again, thanks...

Rik