using network printers, what non-cups things exist?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 11 13:28:11 UTC 2019

hi,
Am Montag, den 11.11.2019, 13:15 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:

> Thanks, but what else is really needed besides a format convert and
> socket output program? Both should be easy to find. An ampersand is
> all the queue I need :) It is not like the network printer is
> actually
> a device that needs a kernel module to support right?

not kernel module support but a translation into the right postscript
commands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description

this translation is the other feature cups gives you beyond a queue ...
:)

also note that cups is socket activated since at least 14.04, so it
will not permanently run if you have it installed but only if you
actually print. so after all istalling cups will only occupy some disk
space.

ciao
	oli