wanted: suggestions for used Linux compatible notebooks

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Nov 7 19:58:08 UTC 2019

At Thu, 7 Nov 2019 17:01:22 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 16:46, Marco Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> >
> > Until your email, I had not realized that 15+ inches screens on laptops have become
> > very rare,
>
> My impression is that in general the rise of tablets is driving the
> laptop market towards thinner/lighter laptops. Even things like VGA
> and Ethernet RJ45 sockets are getting too big to fit onto modern
> laptops -- even big corporate portable workstations -- and USB sockets
> are too big to fit onto slimline laptops now, driving the move to USB
> C.
>
> >  and albeit I've seen and used them many times, I had no idea that certain types of keyboards are called "chiclets".
>
> It's named after an American brand of chewing gum.
>
> I do not know any mainstream laptops that still offer traditional
> keyboards now. Everything has switched to "island" or chiclet designs:
> very flat, flat keys with no rake (the step between rows), very little
> key travel, and gaps between keys.
>
> For people like me who strongly dislike this design of keyboard, it's
> a problem. I am slowly stocking up on the last generation of Thinkpads
> with conventional keyboards. I have an X220 and a T420 so far, and am
> considering a W520 and maybe even a W700 or W701 as well.

I think *I* will be moving away from a "conventual" (x86_64 based) laptop
(currently I have Thinkpad R500 running CentOS 6) to an ARM-based SBC with
battery power. I will probably have a "conventual" (normal [desktop], or as
normal as is still available) keyboard and a mouse (with a drop of superglue
in the scrollwheel bearing, since I loathe scrollwheels -- basic 3-button mice
are pretty much impossible to get anymore.). I am currently considering the
Banana Pis, since some of them include *SATA* ports, allowing for a good sized
2-1/2" SSD drive (>= 256G), rather than be limited to a 32G MicroSD card.
Mount everything in a small hard-shell briefcase...

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933