Is my pop3 email security enough for a simple home user?

Charles IRONS irons.charles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 10:12:14 UTC 2019

Good day Ubuntu user technical support.
WOW . All your quick responses to my question are superb. I am
reassured that my Evolution usage is fine.
My Encryption setting is TLS on a dedicated port and Sending email it
is StartTLS after connecting.
Thanks to Chris, Liam, Ralph, Paul and Wade for very good advice. I
will read more about your suggested options.
As a simple home user I agree my emails are of no interest to any bad
guys.

-------- Forwarded Message --------From: Charles IRONS <
irons.charles at gmail.com>To: Ubuntu user technical support <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>Subject: Is my pop3 email security enough
for a simple home user?Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 16:45:39 +0200
Hello Ubuntu user technical support.
I posted the question below on AskUbuntu 8 days ago and 39 people have
read it but there is no answer offered.I have done searches. Please
advise me where to try next.

"As a retired home user I only need access to email from my desktop
PC.

So I have used Evolution as mail client interacting with Gmail's
server for many years. Receiving email is with Password and sending
email is set to Plain;     because Evolution in Ubuntu 18.04 does not
support the Google security setup OAuth2.

I have read Ubuntu Community Wiki for a couple of hours and checked
similar Ask Ubuntu questions.

Is my email secure enough? As an end user age 80 I am not skilled with
terminal commands."

Thanks for helping. Chas--

Our preferred address is

irons.charles at gmail.com
Mobile   +2783 588 0028

I will go on editing the Authentication settings at daily boot time
until Ubuntu upgrades to Evolution  3.30.3+
Milan Crha at Redhat says my settings will stick after that.

My grateful thanks again for great Ubuntu support. Kind regards. Chas

My preferred address is

irons.charles at gmail.com
Mobile   +2783 588 0028