Is my pop3 email security enough for a simple home user?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Nov 5 18:37:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 16:46:27 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 15:48, Charles IRONS wrote:
>> Is my email secure enough? As an end user age 80 I am not skilled
>> with terminal commands."
>
>Absolutely, yes. Don't worry about it. Email is public while it is in
>transit, anyway. You should consider email messages not to be letters,
>but postcards. Anyone who wishes can see your messages as they pass
>through your internet service provider's servers, and those of the
>recipient.
>
>Nobody ever does because there are many billions a day and most are
>totally uninteresting to anyone else.

Hi,

I second that! It's my firm opinion, too.

If it should be important to ensure that an email's content can't be
edited or to ensure that it can't be a complete fake, use gnupg signing
on demand. To ensure that only the receiver can read it, use gnupg
encryption on demand.

The email editor of Evolution allows to sign or encrypt by the
"Options" menu. How to generate the key, that is required to sign or to
encrypt is easy to explain and most likely easy to understand by you.
IOW it most likely would be no issue to explain you, what you need to
do, but it's probably to complicated to explain each recipient how to
use it. It's usually not an issue with the recipients ages, or
intelligence, most computer users are simply not willing to care about
it.

Regards,
Ralf