A question about multiple boot options and live boot iso images

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 13:02:30 UTC 2019

On 01/11/2019, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 00:34, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And, that is designated as a dual boot DVD - Linux Format issue July 2008.
>
> Bret, that is ELEVEN YEARS OLD. It is hopelessly obsolete and you
> might as well throw it away.

I was not aware that I still had the DVD, until I found it in a stack
of iso discs, that I have.

My reason for mentioning it, and, for mentioning what I did mention
about it, was that eleven years ago, now, and, as you said, when
Ubuntu was only two years old, the capability existed, for creating
DVD's with the multiple boot facility, that gave a user the ability
to, using a single DVD, to choose which iso on the DVD, to boot.

In the context of current new computers that do not come with DVD/CD
drives, and, with the ability to boot from USB thumbdrives, I was
wondering whether a scenario like that DVD, could now be easily done
with USB thumbdrives, given that eleven years has passed, since that
DVD was issued, and, given other advances in Linux (and in GRUB).

It appears, from the responses that I have seen thus far, IT,
including, especially, Linux, has not progressed to the extent that I
was seeking.

I will respond to the rest of your email message, later - the response
is, I think, more complicated.

But, for the moment, I was not aware that 8GB USB thumbdrives are
still available - I have not seen them available for a while,
although, I have not dealt with amazon in Australia, yet.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."