Muon and Kubuntu Package Management

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:47:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 00:41, M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello I am somewhat new to linux Kubuntu.

Which? Linux or Kubuntu?

> I am wanting access to FSF GNU software

Ubuntu & Kubuntu are almost entirely built from GNU software.

> can anyone give me suggestions for how to access this software.

If you are running Kubuntu,. you are looking at it.

> Is the trisquel repo best for this?

*NO!* Do NOT add any distribution's repositories to another distro, ever!

> Also their is a graphical package called Muon on kubuntu.

I recommend Synaptic. It's not a KDE program but it's the best I know.

> It slows me to add repositories but says to enter the complete APT line on the repo that you want to add.

Don't.

If you are a beginner, don't. Not at all, not ever. Do not do this.

> What does this mean?

Don't worry about it just don't do it.

> Do I just type apt etc.etc. or sudo apt?

No. Those are commands.  They are alternatives to Muon or whatever.

> Can anyone tell me what the best repos are for linux?

You don't need repos. All the repos you need are built in.

> Or the best software cd rooms?

You never ever need these. Do not install software from disk into Linux, ever.

>         also in ubuntu

Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

> in the graphical interface

In the GUI to what?

> I select discover

In what program?

> and then at the bottom of the screen I can select sources.

Leave them alone.

> When I do this at the top of the screen it says snap than bellow that UBUNTU Default below that their are a number of check boxes but half are not checked. What is this?

Quit the program, do not change anything.

This is not where to begin.