Wireless not connecting...

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 21:38:40 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 03:43:03PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Fri, 31 May 2019 15:21:53 -0400 (EDT) Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> > > Wow. OK. The last time I set that kind of thing up, it was to install
> > > Red Hat Linux 4.x onto a SPARCstation!
> > >
> > > But if you're happy with it, then netboot Mint or Fedora or something,
> > > just to see if Wifi works.
> >
> > OK, I just booted Mint 19.1 -- *same exact* behavior.  Right now, I am dd'ing
> > Ubuntu 19.04 to a thumb drive, just to see if that makes any difference...
>
> And the same for Ubuntu 19.04...  The behavior is too much like trying to
> connect to a too far distant AP -- close enough to see the SSID, but not
> close enough to make a solid connection, *except* iwconfig is showing a good
> signal.  Something is definately weird here.

I guess you could just check to see what it is actually running and see if
for some reason to most recent drivers have a problem.
I don't remember exactly the issue I had but for some reason I finally
removed some modules and loaded the new one to bring up the
wireless. I think i just needed the most recent driver and had to build
from source but there may have been other issues,

mods=`lsmod | awk  '{print $1}' | grep rt2 `

rmmod $mods 2>> $MON

insmod `find /home/marchywka/drivers -name rt3070sta.ko` 2>> $MON