Wireless not connecting...

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 14:46:44 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 04:35:18PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 14:25, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On your way to making a conformal dielectric antenna :) Hi tech and not know it...
> > The reason for pointing this out though is not just to use jargon
> > but curious if there is any practical application here.
>
> Here's the practical application.
>
> Partly-stripped twisty-tie: free, I have dozens.
>
> The real thing:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Apple-Airport-Antenna-G5-Powermac-A1066-CH-Wireless-P-N-603-3420/283336853381?epid=667174238&hash=item41f8314785:g:58AAAOSw1T1cOixK
>
> 5000 miles away, so shipping will double the price, it will take
> weeks, and I'll have to pay import tax.

And then one day you needed to take out the trash and had no metal ties...

At 2 Ghz you can google the design equations but you can make your own directional antennas
out of many metal wires. It would be interesting to go somewhere with a lot
of AP clutter, hook up your home made antenna, and twirl it attempting to
get a few dB from desired AP and null out the others. With scrap wire go with the
good ole LPDA from broadcast TV days ( at 30MHz half wave rotating dipole may not be
too safe but here it is ok ). Or cut up a piece of flashing and make something more
sophisticated.

What was bad about running wpa_supplicant from the command line - it sounds like SSID but
no IP .