Wireless not connecting...

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed May 29 07:22:04 UTC 2019

On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 22:54, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > > (of course!) the WiFi.
> >
> > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > Drivers).
> > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
>
> I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> that is pretty much fully up-to-date.

A false assumption, though it depends on your definition of 'pretty
much' of course.  How would you know whether there is something
relevant that has been updated?

>  I did not check for Additional drivers.

The solution to that problem is reasonably obvious.

You have not answered whether there is an update for the mother board
BIOS available.

My strategy in these matters is always to do the obvious things first.
It may not help but it can save a lot of time looking for more subtle
issues.

Another thought, can you still boot into Windows?  If so then check it
works there.

Colin