Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 29 02:03:40 UTC 2019

At Wed, 29 May 2019 00:36:29 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 05:52:44PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > > Drivers).
> > > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
> >
> > I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> > that is pretty much fully up-to-date.  I did not check for Additional drivers.
> >
> > Note: the O/S sees the adapter and the adapter sees the wireless AP and in
> > fact the adapter is talking to the wireless AP and the wireless AP is logging
> > its connections...  This is rather strange.  My usual experience with WiFi is
> > that either the board is not seen at all.  Or possibly the board does not see
> > any SSIDs.
>
> Is this 18.04 'Beaver? I was surprised it did not seem to come with ifconfig

Yes.  I too was supprised that ifconfig (net-tools) was missing.

> but did have iwconfig. I've seen problems like this because another interface

I did not try iwconfig.  I'll have a look tomorrow.

> is up. Off hand I'm not sure how to check the routing but  on older
> Ubuntu you can try,
> first I'm curious if you have ifconfig lol, and ifdown all the interfaces
> and just bring up the wireless. The dhclient and see if you get an ip address
> from your access point. I'm not sure if you have to do anything with wpa_supplicant

And I will check wpa_supplicant's config as well.

> etc though ( I wrote a script to turn an older machine into a router
> that let me check network traffic with tcpdump and all I rememebr right
> now is that it could be a hassle- I put a wireless router on eth0 and
> a USB wifi stick to connect to the rest of the world  ).

We have two other laptops, but they initially had 14.04 installed on them (we
got them with blanked hard drives). They are Lenovos. When I installed 14.04,
it "just worked" out of the box. I recently upgradeed them, with two
do-release-upgrades -- the first to 16.04 and the second to 18.04. Both of the
other laptops seemlessly switch between wireless and wired, depending on if
the wired connection is connected. I have dhcp host entries on the dhcp server
for both their wired and wireless MACs with the same IP addresses for wired
and wireless [on a given laptop] (the access point appliance does NOT run a
dhcp server, firewall, or router -- that is all handled by a [Dell] server
running CentOS 6).

With this "new" (it is about 6 years old, said to be a 2013 vintage model) Hp
machine I just clobbered the pre-existing mess-windowss install, after much
fun getting to the BIOS and enabling the network [PXE] boot and making the
network boot first -- the machine wanted to only boot directly into
mess-windows.

> Also traceroute and see where it is trying to go with whatever you want
> to send over the wireless.

Until it gets an IP address, traceroute is kinda useless...