Experience with OnlyOffice's desktop editors?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 22 14:10:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 14:45, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok at gmail.com> wrote:

> Liam,
>
> On Tuesday, 2019-05-21 19:33:06 +0200, you wrote:
>
> Technically you are right: LibreOffice does open  my spreadsheets but it
> then displays  "Err:507"  in every cell associated with a formula,  that
> is, in almost all cells of some of the files.

What I am saying, for clarity, is that I have _never_ personally had
an Excel spreadsheet that would not open at all, and generally, if
they do not contain extensive macro programming -- by which I mean
Visual Basic for Applications -- they look and work the same as they
do in Excel.

In my last permanent job, I preferred to work in LibreOffice on
Windows 7, collaborating with colleagues using MS Office 365. (I
personally happen to hate the "ribbon" interface so dislike all
versions of MS Office since 2007.)

Everything just worked, and my colleagues never knew that I wasn't
using Excel too.

> Some formulas  use "IF()",  "ISBLANK()",  "ISNUMBER()",  and "OFFSET()".
> Are these macros?

No, those are ordinary functions and should work fine.

Try saving your spreadsheets out of Excel in another format, and
seeing if LO will open that.

The more modern the format, the better. E.g. WKS (Excel 95-2003) or
WK4 (Lotus 1-2-3 for Windows) or .WB3 (Quattro Pro).

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/save-a-workbook-in-another-file-format-6a16c862-4a36-48f9-a300-c2ca0065286e

> > > and it says "GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE".  So what?

Hmm. Odd. The Affero GPL normally is only used for web apps.

> Are we really talking about the same product and the same version of it?

I did try the local versions of OnlyOffice, yes.

However, now I think of it, I think the comment about the outliner
applied to WPS Office.

https://www.wps.com/office/linux/

There is also SoftMaker Office:

https://www.softmaker.com/en/downloads

Note, these last 2 are _not_ FOSS apps, but they do offer native Linux versions.