Upgrade problem

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Sun May 19 22:50:18 UTC 2019

** Reply to message from Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> on Sun, 19 May 2019
08:30:14 +0100

> On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 05:48, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> >
> > The GUI does not work, unless there is some other place to do the update.  I am
> > not much of a command line user which why I asked what commands I should use to
> > update the system.
>
> Start by running this to get it all up to date for the current installed version
> sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Ran that command and got an error message.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.

I ran that command and then reran the update commands.  Those commands ran for
about 15 minutes and ended without any errors I cound see.

> If there are any errors shown then post it here.
> Otherwise to upgrade to 19.04 use
> sudo apt do-release-upgrade

That command gives the following error message.

E: Invalid operation do-release-upgrade

Rebooted the system and tried the command again with the same error message.

> but don't do that until the first command completes without error.
> If that says no new releases found then open the GUI command Software
> And Updates and in the  Updates tab check that Notify is set to 'For
> any new version'.

The "For any new version"  option was already set.

--
Robert Blair

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.  -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)