Upgrade problem

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun May 19 21:36:05 UTC 2019

At Sun, 19 May 2019 18:19:49 +0200 Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-05-19 at 11:29 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > What are the differences?
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Seemed to be the "right thing"
>
> Hi,
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade should work perfectly, too. However, the official
> Ubuntu tool nowadays is apt.
>
>   https://askubuntu.com/questions/770135/apt-full-upgrade-versus-apt-get-dist-upgrade
>
> The apt replacements for several apt-get and dpkg commands are more
> user-friendly. The helper gdebi could be replaced by apt install, to

Arg "user-friendly"... There are different meanings for "user-friendly".  *I*
don't want a pointy-clicky "user friendly" interface -- I do almost ALL of the
updates of the various Ubuntu/Debian boxen from the command line, often using
a *plain* xterm over a ssh connection.  I really don't need/want an
application to demand the use of GUI to do things like display progesss meters
or other "friendly* eye candy.

> install a local package and to resolve dependencies from repositories.
>
> It's not recommended to use apt for scripts, but actually I never
> experienced an issue:
>
>   [weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ apt list -a linux-lowlatency | grep installed
>
>   WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

This is suggestive (and tells *me* I really want to avoid apt).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933