Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue May 7 13:30:29 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:12:06PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 14:02, Chris Carlson <chrscrlsn at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card. Periodically, the screen will go black for a split second before returning me to the login screen. When I log back in, whatever applications I had open will be closed and any work will be lost. I experienced the same issue under Ubuntu 18.04 and Xubuntu 18.04 as well as Ubuntu 16.04. Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening and what I might do to stop it?
> >

> Next time it happens go and look in /var/log/syslog to see what is
> there for the time at which it happened.

I had some similar sporadic problems on a Latitude with Ubuntu 11 but I think it was getting
spurious requests to logout either from a bad input device and/or my developmental codei corrupting something.
Are you running anything questionable or are any of the input devices like pointers or
keyboard flakey? It sounds like a pretty specific failure mode and I'm not sure why
a flakey keyboard would only generate that specific problem but I did seem to notice
that when I replaced the keyboard ( eventually if I twisted the cable it
stopped working reliably ) and stopped doing a lot of development it got better
( and would restart from suspend more reliably lol).