19.04 Live

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 18:22:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 08:55:03AM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> 01 May 2019  at 22:10, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)
>
> >I got started with 'Beaver using the startup CD creator on IIRC Ubuntu 11
> >which was not guaranteed to work and sure enough it failed on the old
> >emachines but I finally got syslinux to work after hacking up the iso. The
> >Ubuntu 16 startup creator works fine iwht 'Beavver ISO on the Dell UEFI have
> >not tested on emachines bios. However, AFAICT the stuff is all on an ISO file
> >system which is not read-write and I'd like to avoid that as I did with the
> >syslinux version.
>
> Having tested (and still testing) with
> LinuxLive2.9.4
> Rufus-2.9
> Rufus-3.4
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.6
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.7
> Win32DiskImager-0.9.5
> Win32DiskImager-1.0.0
> YUMI-2.0.6.5
> And native "Create Startup Media" in Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04
>
> I find that the "best" option changes for each release, it does help that I
> have Windowz, Ubuntu, PuppyLinux & Elementry boxes to test with.
>
> Your definition of "Best" choice may very depending on what you want/need, I

Thanks, it will take me a while to look into all of this. As to speed,
I really got excited playing with USB 3.0 but as you say having a stick
that boots anywhere is nice even if it is a bit slow. Most of the data
I have would fit on one flash drive and that is more portable than
the computer- although it need not run on an 6800 motorola processor :)

When startup disk creator on Ubuntu 11 failed, I ultimately could make what
I wanted by hand- in essence installed it on the flash drive by extracting
all the files from the ISO and putting on an ext3 partition with syslinux and a small FAT partition.
AFAICT the startup
creators put an ISO fS designed for CD's ( read only ) on a partition labelled
as vfat. My flash drive with the home made install does not have the ISO or Joliet
partition ( or whatever it is actually called).

The Beaver iso and Ubuntu 14 start up creator worked well on both Dells but have not
tried it on emachines yet.

In theory the UEFI process should be easy to accomplish especially if the source
for the efi files is around some where. I just have not gotten it to work
yet.