OT: greenish area in new monitor

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 09:18:46 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 07:06:39AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>    On Thu, 2 May 2019, 06:19 M. Fioretti, <[1]mfioretti at nexaima.net>
>    wrote:
>
>      On Thu, May 02, 2019 01:53:13 AM -0000, Jonesy via ubuntu-users
>      wrote:
>      > >> > This HP one has the same problem with both VGA and HDMI.
>      > >>
>      > >> In that case I shall be amazed if it is not a hardware problem
>      on the
>      > >> monitor.  To prove it you either need another monitor to plug
>      in the
>      > >> PC or another PC to plug the monitor into.
>      >
>      > As well, look for a bent pin.
>      Yesterday evening I managed to borrow one more monitor, a Samsung
>      SyncMaster226bw. It is now connected to the same computer with the
>      same HDMI *cable*, and shows none of those problems. I still have to
>      configure it completely, but that is another thread. So it seems
>      confirmed that it is, indeed, a hardware problem inside the HP
>      monitor. No bent pins. Too bad, really. At this point, even if the
>      monitor *is* too damaged for regular use, I would really like to
>      read
>      your guesses as to WHAT, exactly, may cause this kind of
>      malfunction.
>
>    It isn't a bent pin as some have suggested as it happens on VGA and
>    HDMI.  Possibly the internal connector to the display itself might be
>    worth checking.
>    Colin

 The prior observation that it occured with improperly seated connector
though points to "bad contact" as a suspect and corrosion may not be
confined to one connector although it may be more likely outside than inside.
If it occurs due to a "bad ground" or something
in common two cables could produce similar symptoms. Of course there is
an issue of if the failure modes are even related. Basements tend
to be damp and inoxuous corrosive gases may exist too. Or someone
plugged it a lot in both connectors and made it more vulernable
to corrosion. Or something spilled on the outside and got
both. Curious though how the metal looks.