Floppy Drives

Paul Groves paul.groves.787 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 21:53:00 UTC 2019

I still use floppy disks everyday and they work fine on 18.04 with one
problem:

My SCSI floppy drive (and USB to FDD adapter) keep on being polled by
udev and the drive goes click, click every 5/10 seconds or so and I have
no idea how to prevent it.

I have to shut down and unplug the floppy drive power to prevent udev
destroying the drives. I already lost one because of this problem.

I have posted about it here before but it seems nobody could help. The
openSUSE list helped me to find udev is the cause. See post on their list.

It appears that udev recognises the floppy drives as hard disks (because
they are not a standard FDD controller but via usb/scsi).

Can anyone help me resolve this?

thanks

Paul