How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 21:56:04 UTC 2019

On 06/03/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bret, did you look in /var/log/apt/history.log to see if it gives a
> clue as to what was going on?
>
> Colin
>
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 11:48, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > :~$ less var/log/apt/history.log
>> > var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > :~$ ls var/log/apt
>> > ls: cannot access 'var/log/apt': No such file or directory
>>
>> It's "/var" not "var".

That file was empty, and the log.1 file was a .gz file, and engrampa
told me that I did not have privilege to extract it (engrampa did not
prompt for a superuser password, to overcome the lack of privilege),
and I could not remember what command line utility I would need to use
to extract it, and, thence, the command syntax, and, I had lost too
much sleep, in the last couple of weeks, in dealing with another,
unrelated (nothing to do with computing) problem, that will probably
take me another few days or so, to recover from, so, I gave up on it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."