[OT] best (Linux based!) all-in-one NAS-VPN-firewall?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Jun 29 08:49:49 UTC 2019

Greetings,

One of my jobs in the next months will be Free Software teaching/
consulting for a small private school. Part of the consulting consists
of helping the school to evaluate how to set up some infrastructure,
using Linux/Free Software as much as possible.

I have been just asked to, quoting, "suggest an all-in-one
NAS-VPN-firewall for the school". We are talking ~80 students in the
8/13 years age range, maybe more after summer, plus teachers and
administration. The "all-in-one" part is the key requirement, and also
the reason why I am asking for recommendations based on your
real-world experience. I know how to handle this stuff the 100%
DIY/hacker way, but that is not an option in this case. Me, I wouldn't
mind but, while the school would like to use more FOSS also for
administration and internal services, actual teaching has much higher
priority this year.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Marco

--