Filesystem corruption - hard disk exploded!

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jun 28 14:16:11 UTC 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:46:30 -0600, compdoc wrote:
>On 6/28/19 6:45 AM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>
>> Replacing the CMOS battery that does cost less than 1,-€
>
>New CMOS batteries should read about 3.3 volts with meter. But any of
>them that read 3 volts or higher are still good. Only replace them
>after they drop below 3 volts.

Measuring voltage without load is meaningless, you need to apply a
resistor to the battery. However, most of the times I'm working on an
opened PC, I preventively replace the battery. Why not replacing a
battery that is still good, when you anyway do something on the PC,
instead of waiting until it fails in the most unpleasant moment?
Sustainability and environmentalism might be reasons, but regarding the
CMOS battery and the issues it could cause, those reasons aren't good
enough for me. What looks like a broken mobo, power supply, hard
disc, often is just a weak battery.