Filesystem corruption

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Tue Jun 25 19:33:30 UTC 2019

On 6/25/19 1:07 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> OK, when I do "sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda", I get:

>      SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> Does this mean that my drive is okay? For /dev/sdb, it's the same.
>
> I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?
>
> Bye,
> Volker

Unfortunately, no. Drive makers set thresholds for some events. The
number can be different from model to model, but lets say they allow 10
bad sectors before SMART shows warnings. Well, any bad sectors means you
probably have damaged files.

You should read the relocated sector count, pending sector count, and
reallocation count. They should all be 0 (zero)

Laptop hdds also have a counter that shows how many g forces the drive
has experienced, if its been dropped in other words.