Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS -> Ubuntu 19.04

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jun 15 19:08:44 UTC 2019

At Sat, 15 Jun 2019 17:08:16 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 16:29, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> > After that is all set and your system is running Ubuntu 18.04 well and
> > you've removed all the Kubuntu packages, then do the upgrade process.
> >

> Is it necessary to remove the KDE packages?  I would not have expected
> them to interfere with a gnome ubuntu, or am I wrong there?

It would all be a matter of disk space and on-going updates. If the KDE
packages were left, then they would keep being updated (when one does apt-get
upgrade or whatever). In other words, you'd have a hybrid system of some sort.
I don't know if kdm and gdm would "fight" over who gets to handle the GUI
login process. If kdm was properly disabled, it should not matter, but if an
update re-enabled it by mistake, things might get weird. If the KDE desktop
packages were in place, it might add an option to the login gear menu for a
KDE desktop as well as the Gnome desktop, which could be ignored (or not).
Again if the defaults were altered somehow (eg some config file update), then
unexpected things might happen, that would have to be fixed, etc.  It might
also have some effect if the system was being used for developement work and
software might get built expecting libraries that were not expected, etc.
Resulting in unexpected dependencies upon deliverly.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933