Line wrapping for smart phones - Was: 18.04 LTS installation failure

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:34:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 20:41, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose that it comes to the question of locality.

I lived on the Isle of Man until 1992. It's a lot smaller, relatively
speaking a lot more crowded, but also relatively speaking just about
as isolated.

I used to read stories from people in the US and envy their superior
connectivity.

But I'd say it went something like...

* early 1980s -- BBSs become common on mid-era 8-bit computers (mainly in US)
* mid-'80s -- many BBSs federate for message-passing, big ones get
Internet connections
* late '80s -- serious professional users or rich geeks are buying
dialup accounts partly for access to Usenet etc.
* early 1990s -- some of the biggest online services (e.g. CI$) start
allowing PPP
* mid '90s -- most geeks are buying dial-up PPP & using it for email,
ftp, usenet, chat
* late '90s -- you're not a geek if you're not online; early adopters
are getting ADSL broadband
* turn of the century -- dialup usage dropping fast; some OSes more or
less assume broadband, e.g. for updates
* early "noughties" (2001-2004 ish) -- dialup all but dead. Early
adopters are on megabit+ and adopting wifi
* mid-noughties: wired internet is becoming passé

I started working in IT in 1988. We had a *synchronous* modem
connection (not RS232 or anything like that!) to an IBM support
service for product patches. It was EXPEN$IVE and we didn't use it a
lot. No email or online contact to the business.

2nd job, 1991. I got my own dial-up account and permanent personal
email. Some others were doing the same.

3rd job, 1992. Most young techies had an email address.

4th job, 1993. I bought my employer its own domain name. We had
intra-company email but only inside regional offices. Trans-Atlantic
comms used Compu$erve occasionally. We had X.25 that we didn't use,
but branch-to-HQ data was over redundant leased lines, over DECnet.

5th job, 1995. We had company-wide email & I put in an Internet gateway for it.

Went freelance, 1996. Started putting in company-wide dial-on-demand
proxy servers for clients; web access on the desktop & 1 company email
address was common, hi-tech companies had individual employee emails.