Upgrading to kernel 4.18.0-21 HWE and updated Xorg server

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 11:50:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 13:45, Chris <chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > "If I install the full HWE stack including the new X.org, will the
> > new
> > X work if I boot using the old kernel?"
> >
> > If so, I would expect so, yes.
> >
> Thanks Liam, yes, that's what I was asking.
> Appreciate the reply.

Oh good. :-) I have not tested this, but generally, most user-space
programs are not especially fussy about kernel versions, especially
not minor versions. The exception can be graphics drivers, but if
you're upgrading, your old drivers linked to the old kernel should
still be present. In theory.

If you are using a FOSS graphics driver, then there should be no problem.