Unable to login to GNOME Shell xorg session while Wayland session works properly

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jun 5 10:06:52 UTC 2019

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 11:31:12 +0200, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
>Colin,
>On Wednesday, 2019-06-05 08:44:29 +0100, you wrote:
>> sudo apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop^
>without finding any clue  I humbly give in:  what's the  purpuse of
>that trailing "^"?

The caret installs the task, not the meta-package, which might or might
not resolve dependencies different.

"Note: The caret (^) was generally required at the end of the command
in older versions of tasksel. It is not required in newer versions of
tasksel.

Note - Calling tasks from apt-get is not documented anywhere. If you
find a page that documents this, please update this page with a link."
- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel#Usage_.28alternative.29

IOW it's seemingly obsolete, good for absolutely nothing.