snapd

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 4 08:06:51 UTC 2019

hi,
Am Montag, den 03.06.2019, 12:01 +0100 schrieb Richard Kimber:
> Periodically snapd seems to hammer my SSD drive for very long
> periods.
> Killall snapd solves this for a while without any apparent effect on
> the
> rest of my system, but it comes back eventually.
>
> Is it OK to remove snapd altogether? Would I lose any important
> functionality?

beyond of what colin said (please file a bug, snapd is a core part of
every ubuntu install nowadays so fixing any issues like this is
important), if you want to know if you have any snap packages installed
(snap applications come in rather transparently from the software
center nowadays) you can use:

snap list

to see recent operations that snapd did use:

snap changes

(if you want any details, pick the ID of a change from that list and
use "snap tasks <ID>")

and to know what version you run (helpful also for the bug data)

snap version

while it might be ok to disable the snapd socket on arch linux (like
ralf suggested), it might not be ok to do that on ubuntu (other
packages might expect it to work if they find snapd installed or
whatnot). so i'd not play with that to not potentially cause other
peripherial issues ... and indeed you can uninstall snapd if you do not
use it or plan to ever use it (note that purging snapd will also remove
all installed snaps *and their data*).

ciao
	oli