OT? hardware recommendation?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Mon Jun 3 01:43:56 UTC 2019

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 18:39:57 -0400
Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> On 2019-06-02 17:28, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > I'd like to connect an ethernet 10GB port to en external usb3 hub
> > and can't see a bit on ebay to do this, anyone have a pointer?
>
> I'm really not sure I see where you're going with this.  Ethernet
> doesn't do what I think you're trying to do.  USB can because it sits
> on a USB bus which can have devices on it, including Ethernet
> adapters. Ethernet, however, does one thing: Ethernet.
>
> (This amazing ASCII art best viewed in block text.)
> So:       USB Bus
> -------------|----------------|-----------------|
>                                HD               Ethernet adapter
> This will work fine.
>
>          Ethernet segment
>   ---------------|--------------|-----------|------------|
>                               switch     eth adapter   router
> Also fine.
>
> But you'll note the Ethernet segment *only* talks to other Ethernet
> things.  It *could* be an Ethernet adapter that sits on a USB bus,
> but your HD won't be one of those things, as it's not talking
> Ethernet. (Now, if you have a NAS or something, we can talk some.
> But straight-up HD with USB?  Not so much.)
>
> -Ken
>
> > Overall I have only a rj-45 socket for i/o to an external HD with a
> > usb3 connection, that's the issue I want to address. Seems as if it
> > should be cheap and easy but I can't seem to find one.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Dave

Thanks, Ken. Maybe some further details will help clarify. I'm looking
at this adapter and trying to see if it might work:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Type-C-3-1-to-USB-3-0-3-Port-HUB-with-RJ45-Gigabit-Ethernet-Port-Adapter/183774848095?hash=item2ac9d5a45f:g:aPEAAOSwO95bkTuZ

Thinking of cat 5 cable from m/b RJ-45 socket to the adapter gadget and
a usb A to usb B cable from one of the usb3 gadget sockets to an
enclosure like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5in-USB3-0-Type-B-SATA-External-Mobile-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-Dock-Case/302836196750?hash=item468271a58e:g:2YEAAOSw0HhbZHwX