Ubuntu 18.04: systemd-resolved -- crashing or failing to start properly...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jun 1 00:27:42 UTC 2019

I have an *intermittent* problem with systemd-resolved. It is either crashing
or fails to start properly. The sympton is that when I go to do an update (eg
apt-get update), I get name resolver errors to the *local* (LAN only) mirror
host. Doing a "systemctl restart systemd-resolved" cures the problem. I am not
sure exactly what is going on, but it appears that for some reason
systemd-resolved is not seeing (or using) the *local* LAN DNS server (bind9
running on a CentOS 6 server). For *all* of the Ubuntu 18.04 machines, *I*
would *rather* not have systemd-resolved running at all and just have
/etc/resolve.conf reference the CentOS 6 server and bind9 running there. (I
have configured things on the DRBL server to do just that.) It is already a
cacheing DNS server for the whole LAN and provides local DNS for the LAN,
including intranet services (NFS server, LDAP server, LAN-only web services,
etc.). The problem is an issue on the laptops and one workstation, and only
really affects LAN-only web services (which includes the local repo mirror) --
the NFS mounts and LDAP configuration use the hard IP address of the server(s)
in question.

I don't suppose anyone else has seen this issue?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933