Tip for Desktop Memory management, new vm tuning option

ubuntu at tigershaunt.com ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Jul 30 19:06:57 UTC 2019

> However, I would be very, very careful with all those esoteric tweaks.
> From changing swappiness, disabling watchdog and even changing PCI
> latency by BIOS settings etc., there are a lot of esoteric hints that
> more likely screw up machines, than doing anything good.

In general, I agree with this sentiment.  I did not make this post to such a public list lightly, but if you bump into the issues I've described, the difference is no small matter, and documentation on how to best use this new kernel feature is *very* thin on the ground.  As far as I can tell, just a few random posts from experimenters like myself, (I think I saw someone who figured out how to use this tweak to make his Witcher game even able to load on a 4GB system.)

I agree this should be reported to Upstream.  But it's been over 2 years since this change to Linux was made, and still, the Memory limitations of desktop use that were introduced have not been addressed.

All that being said, these kinds of tweaks are best undertaken only by those who are confident they can fix it if I make an ill advised suggestion, or someone who is greatly impacted by the flaw I'm trying to work around.