Request for explanation of error message

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 14:09:41 UTC 2019

On 30/07/2019, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/2019, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> hi,

>>> I was previously referred to an "ask ubuntu" forum web page with a
>>> question and solutions relating to this, and, I changed the two lines
>>> in the grub file, to insert
>>> pci=nomsi
>>> then, whilst that stopped the growth of x-0.log , it did not stop the
>>> error repeating in dmesg output, so I replaced the nomsi with noaer,
>>> as was suggested, but, again, the same; the
>>> x-0.log file appears to have stopped growing, but, the error message
>>> is still incessantly repeating in dmesg.
>>
>> as i said, there is more in that bug (worth reading it) ...
>>
>> start with:
>>
>> lspci -vt
>>
>> which should print a tree of your pci devices, so you can potentially
>> see what's the attached device causing the controller to go wild,
>
> Thank you for that.
>
> "
> bret at bret-MD34045-2521:~$ lspci -vt
> -[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host
> Bridge/DRAM Registers
>            +-02.0  Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian
> Mixture Model
>            +-08.0  Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 /
> 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
>            +-14.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family
> USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
>            +-14.2  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Thermal Subsystem
>            +-15.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Serial IO I2C Controller
>            +-15.1  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Serial IO I2C Controller
>            +-16.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1
>            +-17.0  Intel Corporation SATA Controller [RAID mode]
>            +-1c.0-[01]----00.0  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>            +-1d.0-[02]----00.0  Intel Corporation Wireless 3165
>            +-1e.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family
> Serial IO UART Controller #0
>            +-1f.0  Intel Corporation Z370 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
>            +-1f.2  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family
> Power Management Controller
>            +-1f.3  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
>            \-1f.4  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family
> SMBus Controller
> bret at bret-MD34045-2521:~$
> "
>
> So, I assume that the fault involves the WiFi thingy.
>

>> it
>> talks about various BIOS options you can try ... and indeed you could
>> also try to update your BIOS to a new version of the mainboard
>> manufacturer ...
>>

> I have never updated a BIOS on a system.
>
> How do I do that?

Now - an update.

1. On the premise that the error relates to the WiFi adaptor (?), as
my wife has used USB tethering to access the WWW via her cellphone,
using the 4G network, as that operates almost as a plug and play thing
(USB tethering needs to be enabled on the cellpnone, after the
cellphone is connected via USB, to the computer), I thought I would
try that, and, disconnect the WiFi connection.

So, after doing that, and, running a speedtest (ozspeedtest.com),
apart from dmesg returning some errors from the web browser (midori),
after 20 minutes of the USB tethering connection and running dmesg,
dmesg shows no new errors, for the 20 minute period.

2. A previous suggestion was made to check the new RAM, via the system
BIOS, if possible. I have checked, and, whilst synaptic shows
memtest86+ to be installed, it does not show as an option in the GRUB
menu, and, no option is apparent, from the system BIOS, for testing
the RAM. I have not been able to find a way to manually invoke
memtest86+.

3. I contacted Medion Australia, to find whether any BIOS upgrades are
available for the computer, and, their response was that the only
downloadable drivers for the computer, that they have, are at
https://www.medion.com/gb/service/_lightbox/treiber.php?msn=10022163&prod=MEDION
AKOYA P40000 (MD 34045) AU
which, from what I perceive, shows that only downloadable drivers for
MS Windows 10, are available from Medion, the computer manufacturer.

So, until I can find a fix for the WiFi adaptor (?) problem, which
appears to be the device of the problem, USB tethering appears to be
the way around it - it is apparently not as fast as WiFi, but, it is
usable, withou apparent errors. When I can, I will take the computer
back to the computer shop that installed the RAM, to get the integrity
 of the fit of the WiFi adaptor, checked, in case, as suggested as a
possibility, it is partially dislodged (it still works, enabling WiFi
access, but, it apparently has the errors).

And, in the last 15 minutes, of writing this message, the only new
error whown by dmesg, relates to midori.

x-0.log stil shows as 762.6MB.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale