Request for explanation of error message

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 16:33:14 UTC 2019

On 29/07/2019, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 29.07.2019, 19:48 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
>>

>> The RAM was changed on 15 July, from a Kingston 8GB DDR 4 2400MHz
>> card, to
>> "
>> Corsair 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX
>> Ryzen Black C16 2400MHz (CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16)
>> "
>>
>> I am including that, here, on the off-chance that that may have
>> something to do with this.
>
> easy to test if you still have the old RAM around ... change it back
> and see if the errors vanish ;)
>
> seemingly this ram is "optimized for AMZ Ryzen CPUs" while it "can also
> run on Intel X99, 100 und 200 series mainboards"
>
> your system is an intel i3 (sadly the HW description doesnt tell what
> mainboard you have (sudo dmidecode should print that somewhere in its
> output though), but probably not an X99, 100 or 200 series one) ...

"
Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: MEDION
        Product Name: Z370H4-EM
        Version: 1.0
        Serial Number: ME5100G74501135
        Asset Tag: Default string
        Features:
                Board is a hosting board
                Board is replaceable
        Location In Chassis: Default string
        Chassis Handle: 0x0003
        Type: Motherboard
        Contained Object Handles: 0
"

?

Sorry - I thought the information that I had posted, included the
motherboard model.

>From the above, and,, from
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2702808

"
It is an ECS oem mobo. Z370H4-EM
"

> the date when you changed the ram matches the point in time when your
> logs started growing, so try if moving back to the old one helps .. if
> it does i'd assume your new ram is simply incompatible with that system
>
> ciao
> 	oli

I can't do anything much physically with the computer, and, I am not
confident to open it and do anything inside it - I am right-handed,
and, about half of my right hand has been numb for about two months,
now, and, I do not have much strength in my right hand.

The new RAM was installed by my local computer shop for me, and, the
man booted it into BIOS, to determine that the BIOS could see the 32GB
of RAM, and, as other UbuntuMATE utilities can see the RAM, including
the System Monitor, I had taken for granted, that the 32GB RAM is
compatible.

>From the above command;

"
Handle 0x003D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
        Location: System Board Or Motherboard
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 32 GB
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x003E, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x003D
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: ChannelA-DIMM0
        Bank Locator: BANK 0
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
   Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Manufacturer: 029E
        Serial Number: 00000000
        Asset Tag: 9876543210
        Part Number: CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16
        Rank: 2
        Configured Clock Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

Handle 0x003F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x003D
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: ChannelB-DIMM0
        Bank Locator: BANK 2
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Manufacturer: 029E
        Serial Number: 00000000
        Asset Tag: 9876543210
        Part Number: CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16
        Rank: 2
        Configured Clock Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
"

I assume from that output, that the 32GB RAM is compatible?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."