copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 20:07:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:15:39AM -0700, rikona wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000
> Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> > ubuntu-users wrote:
> > > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
> These have been helpful-

> When I copy from falkon, whatever was in there before is cleared, but
> the copied text is NOT there. So it seems KDE/falkon is doing
> something, but not putting the copy there.

> When I copy from falkon, these do not seem to change. The copied text
> is not in any of these.
Did you try to pipe it into "od" rather than "strings"? That could be a
special char in there somewhere hiding text.

> > > Or if xsel should be installed:
> > >
> > >   xsel -p -o | strings
> > >   xsel -s -o | strings
> > >   xsel -b -o | strings
> > >
> > > You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> > > 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.
> >
> > I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
> > but seem to recall now
> > an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
> > pasting.
>
> I've noticed that when I copy text from a web page into kate, if I don't
> highlight the text *EXACTLY* at the beginning and end of the text, it
> seems to also copy chrs that prevent kate from printing all or part of
> what was copied. I can see the full text on the screen in kate, so it
> seems to paste OK, and it looks OK, but it won't print correctly.
> This is also something that would be nice to fix.

Well again pipe it into 'od" with the options I suggested or
whatever you like and see what is really there. This sounds promising.

> Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of which
> are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of life" :-)
> and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms instead.
> Sometimes progress seems to go backward...

It is always hard to tell- when I got 'Beaver to run on old emachines
it was probably better than old Debian ( 10 years old probably lol)
in some ways ( and of course it supported more recent browsers etc).
Although the machine was still too slow to browse a lot of modern
web pages- and by modern I mean littered with video ads.