Newest Gnome versus LTS

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:36:13 UTC 2019

On 18/07/2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

<snip>
> NVIDIA and ATI are a PITA.
<snip>

Whilst this has, I believe, digressed from the topic of the thread,
one point that I make here, is that, from my experience, nVidia seems
to work okay with Ubuntu.

Some years ago, I  bought a souperdooper new laptop (Acer Aspire
V3-772G), that has an i7 CPU of the Haswell architecture, and, an
nVidia GeForce thingy, with nVidia Optimus.

The computer has MS Windows 8 installed on it, which I found too
difficult to use, and, at that time, I had been using Debian as my
Linux distribution of choice. Having forgotten the MS Win8 password,
through lack of use, the 250GB or whatever, of HDD space, is written
off.

I could not get an external screen working with the laptop, running Debian.

However, after months of stuffing around with it, and, researching, I
found that only two non-MS operating systems, worked with the Haswell
architecture; DragonflyBSD and Ubuntu Linux. But, DragonflyBSD did
not, and, had no intention of trying to, work with the nVIDIA Optimus
thingy, and, Ubuntu did, and, does. Ubuntu, going back to 12.04,
worked okay with both the Haswell architecture, and, the nVIDIA
Optimus thingy, and, Ubuntu is the only non-MS operating system that I
found that works okay with the nVIDIA Optimus thingy - I think it uses
the nouveau driver.

So, for me, from memory, from my experience, nVIDIA has not provided
problems, with Ubuntu. The i7 system, and, an i3 desktop, with a
different model nVIDIA thingy, without Optimus, both are currently
running UbuntuMATE 16.04, without any remembered problems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."