Newest Gnome versus LTS

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jul 18 09:46:40 UTC 2019

On Thursday 18 July 2019 04:22:03 Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 17.07.2019, 21:03 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
>
> ubuntu-users:
> > On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:21:46 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > what a user really only needs to care about is to keep the system
> > > up to
> > > date.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I disagree, if a package from "main" such as openssl suffers from
> > something like Heartbleed, it might be better to wait a few days for
> > fix, before continue using such a package's software.
>
> you mean keeping your system vulnerable for a few extra days makes
> much sense ?

That depends on whats between your machines and the net. With a router
reflashed to dd-wrt (theres other equally secure stuff out there),
outsiders getting in is not a consideration. In 19 years, or close to
it, no one has gained access to my local network that wasn't given the
credentials.  It's simply not happened. So the fact that I've got 3
machines still running an old version is not a concern.

> > It was even announced by television news and Bruce Schneier said:
> > "Catastrophic is the right word. On the scale of 1 to 10, this is an
> > 11."
>
> my mom: "who is bruce schneier ?"
>
> > The Ubuntu help explains that not all repositories are supported and
> > warns regarding the risk using packages from those repos.
>
> and because of this what i said is not true?
>
> yes, there are repo parts that are maintained by the community that
> possibly get security fixes in a slower cadence (or probably none at
> all, which is one of the reasons snap packages exist). but thats
> completely orthogonal to the fact that you should immediately pull in
> a security fix if it is available ... and that you should do this when
> the update manager notifies you about it.
>
> 90% of ubuntu users out there install their software by simply
> clicking the install button in the software-center, they dont know
> what heartbleed is or who bruce schneier is, they only want to use
> their computer. and the most important thing to keep these peoples
> machines secure is to teach them to always apply the updates their
> system offers them ASAP ... keeping your system up to date with the
> updates it offers to you is the number one security rule no matter
> wether you are a computer nerd who is best friends with bruce schneier
> or my mom ...
>
> ciao
> 	oli

Cheers, Gene Heskett